We take a directive or coaching approach to our work. In a directive approach, the therapist/coach takes the lead in guiding the client through the process of addressing and dealing with the concerns presented at the outset of counseling. In this process, we will provide instruction on specific steps to be taken and may also assign homework. We will not just sit, nod our heads and ask you once in awhile how you feel. We take the time necessary to get to know you, understand your story and develop a relationship with you. On the basis of developing a relationship with you, we believe we earn the right to speak into your life.
We value this approach for several reasons.
1. TIME: You are investing time in this process and so are we. All of us have a limited amount of time available, and we want the time devoted to this process to be as beneficial as possible. We would rather get to the point as quickly as is practical. The amount of time involved will vary based on the issues being addressed, the severity of the problem, and your ability to cope with things that need to be confronted. It is in no one's interest to drag things out or take longer than is needed. Our intent is to help you get busy with living your lives to your fullest potential.
2. MONEY: Therapy/Coaching with a proven professional can be a costly proposition. The more direction given to help you tackle your concerns, the sooner you will gain control of the situation and be in a position to move on with your life. Sometimes it is more costly to avoid addressing concerns because left to fester, those concerns can do significant damage. Once you are ready to confront the issues with practical and direct coaching, your opportunity to conquer those issues and move on with life becomes much greater.
3. PRODUCTIVITY: The counseling/coaching process is not about the coach, it is about the client. But, as coaches, we are determined to make as big a difference in as many lives as possible. When a life is changed for the better; it not only affects that person but can have a positive impact on generations to come. We only have this one life to live, same as you, and we want it to count for us and for those we serve.
4. PERSONALITY: We are both action oriented, get it done type people. We tend to approach any challenge or task by breaking it down into its parts and taking it one step at a time to get the job done. We think through a logical and strategic process to reach the best outcome in the most efficient manner possible. We know that many challenges can take time to conquer, and we have the patience needed to hang in there to the end.
If you are trying to determine whether you need coaching or therapy the following explanation will help. You will benefit from coaching if:
- Either as a couple or an individual, you want to improve your relationship
- You have a good marriage but you want to make it a Great Marriage.
- You want to make your relationship better even if your spouse is not joining in right now.
- You want better communication between the two of you.
- You want to do a better job of spending time together.
- You want to be closer as a couple but you just can't get there.
- You want to feel like and know that you are both heading in the same direction.
- You feel like you have been drifting in your marriage for a long time.
- Things have been boring for too long but neither of you knows what to do about it.
- You feel that your spouse has not been attracted to you for way too long.
- There are way too many long periods of silence between you and it is not getting better.
- There are things you long to talk about but it is just too difficult to know how to get started.
If this list contains some of your thoughts and experiences, you would benefit from coaching. Through Relationship Coaching, you will discover AND understand yourself- your desires, and your roadblocks- and know how to quickly develop an action plan to experience the positive change that is important to you. Both as individuals and as a couple you will find the correct path for your personal life.
Coaching will help you set aside the habits, thought patterns and behaviors that have held you back and stifled your progress both as an individual and in your relationship. As you develop new patterns of behavior that result in moving you to a much better and more rewarding life and as you experience the improvement you have been seeking in your personal relationship; you will discover that you have a new focus and greater energy for all other areas of your life.
Professional Counseling/Therapy and Professional Coaching both:
- Are based on an ongoing and confidential relationship with a fee-for-service.
- Involve clients who genuinely want to change for the better.
- Require one-on-one discussions/conversations as the primary means of interaction.
If you're ready, take the next step now to explore relationship coaching, please call 630-333-3202 for a free 15-20 minute phone/Skype consultation. We will tell you about how our process works and you will come away from that call with the information you need to make a decision about how we can best work together.